Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Stupid exercise...

I used to be very fit. Being in track and two soccer teams forced me to be in prime condition in my teen years. Since then, having a desk job hasn't helped me maintain very well.
Being pregnant was impossibly hard to know how to "gain healthy weight". Which for my body apparently meant "save everything!". It took me until Kenley was 6 months to be back to pre-pregnancy weight. Hip size is another issue. How can you be the same weight but have such impossibly different measurements??
On top of that is my complete sugar addiction.
And I don't say that lightly. When I say "addiction" what I really mean is: I could eat a candy bar for breakfast and skittles, gummy frogs, and diet pepsi for the rest of the day. Which amazingly doesn't make me sick.
My favorite Easter candy has got to be Cadburry eggs. Yes, those giant creme ones.
The other day Fresh Market had a sale and I purchased five. Thinking that I had any sort of self control.
Silly me.
Later that day, I was surprised I wasn't hungry, when I realized to my disgust that I had eaten FOUR of them! Not my finest.
So to recap that day: Banana and cheerios for breakfast, FOUR Cadburry Eggs for lunch/dinner
It's amazing I've survived this long.

So back to exercising.... I realized that I had to pump up my physical activity if I wanted my weird body to snap back into shape. So I took up my old hobby and decided to run again.
I've never been one of those lucky petite girls. I've always been the tough, contact sports kind of girl. And I like to attribute my extra "thickness" to being kick-ass.
My stomach is still strange, since being pregnant, and every now and then I feel like I might jar something loose. Frightening.
I still feel like I'm punishing myself by running, and force myself to run mile after mile all while chanting "swimsuit season" which terrifies me enough to run a few extra laps.
I thought I might make myself feel better and buy proper (cute) running attire. I bought some running pants that are more of a flare leg that help me look less like a weeble as I run along, but they tend to collect more earth than I would like.
These miles have only recently been getting easier, which is really good since I'm starting to get incredibly bored with it. Do people really get a "runner's high"?? And of course, BJ has to come along and run faster an longer than me his first time out in months.
I'm starting to notice more tone and energy, but over all it seems I'm only exercising to keep my sugar habit. Sigh.

3 comments:

Linds said...

Psh, I wish I had the potential to kick butt like you...I find your contact sport woman-ness quite hot!! Love you,

--Mrs. Scronny Chicken legs (Oh yeah, thats one of my complaints. Haha.)

Schoenstars said...

You make me so proud, you have no idea!!! Wish we lived closer so we could run together. Blah!!!!

And yes, I live to eat. So therefore, I'm not really running to get into shape. Rather, I'm running to keep myself from becoming shapes!

Candice said...

You are my hero! Running is a fear I may not ever TRY to conquer!