Monday, October 19, 2009

I HATE Football

I know who I married, and I knew what I was getting myself into when I said "I do". But lets be honest, this is ridiculous!

At first I tried to make this something fun we could do together. I would prepare the game time snacks and put on my best cheering face while we watched grown men in padding slap each other on the bum. Not knowing a lot about football, I would ask questions and try to get involved and interested. After almost 3 years of marriage-I still don't care! I don't understand how something he has no control over can ruin his day. But I still respect that its something BJ has loved his whole life and wont be changing, so I do my own thing while he's having a tantrum over some call the Ref made that "is just to make up for a bad call he made against the other team".



Why is it bothering me now? You might ask.

For one thing, BJ's best friend is having a birthday party for his son's first birthday. Guess who wont be attending because "the game is on"?

Also, in the past two weeks he has abandoned me not twice but 4 times to watch football! Yes, we had plans that I was excited about.

We have discussed how much we should take advantage of our time left as a couple before Little Driggers makes his/her entrance. But BJ is acting like these are his last few months of freedom and to do as much "dude" stuff as he possibly can. I shouldn't feel jealous of his hobby, suddenly I became second to everything football?



I am no longer going to sit through another game, or fake like I care about anything Football. It's not a fair trade for BJ to expect this of me when he refuses to be involved in things I enjoy. (And I'm taking down the Alabama banner we have hanging above our bed!)



Well tonight BJ is going out to watch football again with a friend while I do the grocery shopping and laundry. I might go out and get myself something fun and BJ cant say a dang thing :)



BJ, have fun with your mistress tonight!



This is just a rant, I am married to a very sweet, loving husband who goes out of his way daily to make me smile. But this is the one thing in our marriage that I really wish I could change.

9 comments:

jessica said...

an alabama banner above your bed?!? haha i am DYING! g has these old raider posters that he loves & i refuse to put them up anywhere in our house, poor guy. bj you are one LUCKY man. anyways, you are completely right about this gina. it's definitely not fair.

maybe you guys could compromise? when g & i see movies, one weekend i get to pick the movie and the next time he picks. even though he rarely likes my choices, it forces us not to be selfish. maybe every hour bj ditches you for football must be made up by an hour of him doing something with you that you love?

football sucks and i am more than grateful that my husband doesn't feel the need to watch every game, but on the other hand, g would never be thoughtful enough to sneak my favorite candy in my purse when i wasn't looking, so all men have their pluses & minus', right?

but gina, seriously, if he is off with his buddies watching football you are not allowed to cook/clean/shop/wash dishes, etc. while he is gone. that time is play/shop/veg/enjoy time!!

if all else fails, threaten sex.(haha! just kidding, bj!)

Gina Driggers said...

Thanks Jess! BJ would never go to a movie of my choice no questions asked, no way! I like the idea that he has to make up for every hour he's gone watching football. Maybe i'll have to implement new family rules :) I try not to do the house chores when he's off playing, but thats usually the only time i have to get it done and if i dont do it-it never gets done.
Thanks for the input, very helpful :D

Jessica&Kristofer Driggers said...

haha. gina. i feel you. it's in the driggers gene pool. as kris sits and watches the games i do crafts or blog or something else. this week during the alabama game i made a table runner. haha.

Ben and Meg said...

Ha ha! My favorite part was the TINY little disclaimer at the very bottom of your post. I blinked and almost missed it! :)

ps. I'm surprised the Alabama banner made it 3 years over the bed! BJ is a lucky guy!

CarrieYvonne said...

Gina and Jess....sorry girls get used to the football, and remember it's only 4 months out of the year and for 3 of the Driggers guys it is only one day a week...B.J. excluded...Like I told Gina, take advantage of it. this is the time of year to get your way, do whatever you want, get whatever you want, go wherever you want and the boys can't say a word....Remember the rule works for hunting season, too.
oh yeah, this is mom....apparently I am signed into Carrie's blog.

Schoenstars said...

do you want me to beat him up? i'm good at that.

Gina Driggers said...

Hahaha! Kim, i like how you put "Only one day a week... except for BJ". Exactly- its an obsession.
Yes Cali, maybe just to scare him straight a little :)

CarrieYvonne said...

oh geezzz, mom on my blog?! next it'll be mom on my facebook!

like sex, make watching football one of his "rewards", after all, you are raising him. :)

JonAli said...

Oh man I remember when this used to be a strain for us as well. I think it took some compromising on both sides. Ali was/is really great about making sure that every game is scheduled and I have made sure that if a family event is ever at the same time I will DVR the game and attend the family event (family always comes first). I think a big turning point for Ali was when we flew to Denver for a day to go to a game. She got to buy her own jersey and Broncos earings...she has been a bigger fan since then.
I know that Ali feels your pain, I'm not sure if I'm more of a fanatic than BJ but I'm sure Ali would tell you I'm the biggest fanatic there is :)