Monday, November 9, 2009

Does everything have to be PINK??

After initial excitement and much rejoicing, I wanted to get geared up for our little arrival. I decided to go shopping and view all the things we will need and make mental lists. I also thought it would be a great idea to find a fun outfit to bring home in celebration...... that's where my excitement faltered.
Every single little girls outfit was either disgustingly pink or covered in flowers.
Is it really necessary to dress up our infant girls as tiny floral pepto bismol bottles? For the first time, I worried that I was going to be the one needing reassuring about having a little girl. Don't dads go through this?
For the majority of my life I have fought my mom on getting anything too girly. I even remember getting my very first bra, after I tried it on my mom asked me how it fit. I replied "Great, now that I've removed the stupid little flower in the front." Mind you, this was an all white plain bra, and you can imagine how small a flower would have to be to fit in the front of a training bra!
Maybe I need some "girly girl" training. But I think I've devised the right plan.
1. I can handle purple. I actually really like this color and wish they made more purple baby outfits.
2. I do accessories. I have been focusing on headbands and tiny bracelets. Sooo cute!
3. Finding awesome sayings on onsies such as "Does this diaper make my butt look big?"-How funny is that!
If anyone has any suggestions on some little girl things for me, please pass them on!

8 comments:

jessica said...

gina, darling...i don't love pink, either! it's so boring & typical! have you checked out babygap (who am i kidding, OF COURSE YOU HAVE!)...but they have tons of non-pink options. i wish we had an h&m here, too, because they have darling bb clothes.

here are some cute alternatives from babygap (i love).

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=7189&vid=1&pid=681960&scid=681960012
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=7190&vid=1&pid=681902
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6437&vid=1&pid=681879
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=6437&vid=1&pid=689625

also, i LOVE dwell studio for target- i get tons of baby shower gifts from that brand. very classic, not frilly (no cartoons or princesses...SICK!) and plenty of colors..check it out: http://www.target.com/Newborn-Apparel-DwellStudio-Baby/b/ref=sc_fe_l_2/191-4349882-9194523?ie=UTF8&node=393203011

it's so pathetic that i have this much info to share. i'm going to go cry now! ;)

B.J. said...

Those are DARLING!! Thank you!!
-Gina

Schoenstars said...

i know what you're going thru. once i found out i was having a girl, the first thing i wanted to do was design her nursery. i didn't want pink but guess what, that's all i could find! well, i ended up with pink...but not too much disgustingly so. i hate hate HATE pastels so i refused to do light pink or anything like that. but, pink and brown make a cute combo. it'll grow on you. i promise!

Brian and Stephanie Wood said...

Gina,

As much as I love you, I love pink as well. In fact, it's my favorite color. So many apologies, but I already bought baby Kenley pink stuff - at least it's cute and homemade - yes, made by yours truly - so you'll just have to deal with it. haha. MUAH!

- Your 'pink' loving friend, Stephanie

Gina Driggers said...

Cali- I see little Lolli and feel hope that there are cute girl things out there! She's such a stylish little thang :)

Steph- I'm sure I will just love your little outfits, I'm impressed you're making them! I'm resigned to get pink things since she's a girl. I just wish there were more options, pink has seriously taken over. I'm kind of a sucker tho :)

Jessica&Kristofer Driggers said...

i'll be sure to buy/make you nothing pink. haha.

you can dress her in boy clothes, my dad did that to me when i was little. ask kris. i looked like a boy when i was two. people probably thought my sister had a brother. just don't do that kenley! i will kidnap her if you do.

Jessica&Kristofer Driggers said...

http://www.joyshope.com/2009/11/old-skool-week-baby-care.html

haha. you saw this in that book last christmas. but it's still good for a laugh.

love you guys.

CarrieYvonne said...

hahahah i love this. i was talking to someone at school and i was telling her that i would never be able to have a girl cause of all the froo froo and pink crap. i admit, i've tried shopping for kenley, and CANT FIND ANYTHING that is remotely cute. baby gap has some cute stuff, but they're so expensive. i'll start making the big bucks soon. ;)