Sunday, April 8, 2012

Clueless

I'm just going to say it, and maybe someone else will admit it too.
I have NO IDEA how to be a mom.
No clue.
I don't know what to do from day to day.

But I do my best!
I read baby/child/parenting, forums/magazines/blogs etc...
I ask for advice on things from trusted friends and family. (and receive countless unwanted or unsolicited advice from strangers or just strange people)

And still, I have no idea what i'm doing!
I'm constantly afraid i'm ruining Kenley.
But apparently you cant admit something like that around these parts. Cause all I see here are over-achieving moms juggling 4 kids all under 5, telling me "Can you believe..[so and so].. microwaved her breast milk in plastic bottles??" -Cue gasp

What prompts this rant is really this:
I'm constantly hearing judging remarks about other parents. And i'll admit i've participated when I felt I "knew" something better to do.
But it has to stop!
This week was crazy! After Kenley was showing signs of cold/allergies/latest vaccination sickness. I finally took her to the doctor when she wasn't getting better.
It took me almost a week!
The doctor then told me she had a horrible ear infection and needed to get on antibiotics immediately.

My jaw hit the floor.
I could here those women's voices in my mind
"Did you hear Gina let her daughter be that sick for a week before taking her to the doctor?"
I mean, what kind of mother does that??!!?
I felt like such a terrible mom for not realizing my sweet baby was so sick!
But I had no idea! She seemed mildly uncomfortable, had allergy-like symptoms during the highest pollen count time of the year and only had a fever a week after her vaccination which i'm told is normal.

Yes, I will finally get to my point:
As outsiders we have no idea what the other parent believes is safe, good or right for their children.
If you feel its a safety or health issue, tell them!! I'm sure they'll be grateful, and if they're not- oh well, at least now they were told the proper care and will hopefully follow through.
But otherwise, keep it to yourself!
The other parents believe Harry Potter is evil? Or they give their baby sugary Popsicles on hot days?
That's their choice! You have no idea what happened to lead them to those decisions or whats going on inside the home.

Let it be and keep your mouth shut, otherwise you'll just make it harder to get along.
There, i'm done with my rant now, it's time for Kenley's antibiotic dose anyway....

3 comments:

Jessica&Kristofer Driggers said...

Gm. Interesting. Probably something I needed to hear rut about now. :)

And I agree. Someways I think I am a terrible mom and don't know what the heck I am doing. It's a scary road we are on sometimes. And absolutely overwhelming. But hopefully we are doing what's right. At least we try!

Candice said...

Amen :)
I think we only know so much but our kids need us and we need them all the more!

Shelli and David said...

Gina. I am constantly amazed at how awesome you have been doing as a mom. You simply love being a mom and it shows. Seeing you have so much fun has been a source of great joy to me as your mother. You are simply learning a truth that all moms come to know at some point, that it is an on the job training day by day. You know your baby K and what she needs or is feeling more than anyone else in the world. Even when the experts tell you something, trust your instincts first and listen to the Lord for his advice. He is the only other one who knows her better than you and will be there to help you every step of the way with your concerns. Even as a grandma now, I still feel sometimes like I don't know what the heck I am doing. While we can help other moms it is with kindness and love and a deire to help but keeping judgement aside. Sometimes, like you say if there is harm being done it is usually because that person is in trouble themselves and it's the parent that needs help. It's an overwhelming job at times with long hours and rewards that come in small but profound ways such as when a mom reads her daughters insightful thoughts and I know.....I did ok.